Driving a manual transmission vs. an automatic — Which is best?
Did you grow up driving a manual transmission car? A lot of people did and as soon as possible they switched to an automatic transmission considering it an upgrade. However, today many people are switching back to a manual to save money on gas. This leaves a lot of people wondering if driving a manual transmission really saves on gas and is it worth it?
Manual vs. Automatic transmissions
1. Automatic transmissions are convenient. If you do a lot of city driving, this may be your choice due to the fact that it’s easier and a lot less work.
2. When it comes to automatic transmissions, you have a much bigger selection of cars to choose from. Manual transmission cars are usually limited to sports cars and small cars.
3. Selling an automatic is much easier than selling a manual transmission car.
1. Manual transmission cars can save you money upfront. Models that are manual usually sell for $800 to $1,200 less.
2. You can expect to improve your gas mileage by 2 to 5 mpg.
3. Acceleration improves greatly when driving a manual transmission car.
4. Driving a stick-shift is a challenge for the beginner but is also fun.
Overall, save money by driving a manual transmission. From a savings in the total cost of the car to the increase of gas mileage by 2 to 5 mpg, the savings add up. Of course, you can’t overlook the fact that driving small, stick-shift cars is just plain fun.