Take this test and see if your home’s electrical wiring is safe
Electrical wiring is responsible for 32,000 home fires every year with the damage adding up to $674 million. More importantly, home fires are responsible for 950 injuries and 220 deaths each year. Make sure your family doesn’t become just another statistic. Take this quick test to see if your home electrical wiring is safe.
Question #1 – Do your outlets, switches, or appliances shock you?
Getting shocked when you plug or unplug an appliance is a warning sign. It usually means your electrical wiring is overloaded.
Question #2 – Do your fuses blow or circuit breakers trip?
If you have a continuing problem with fuses blowing or circuit breakers tripping, it means you use more electricity than your wiring can handle. Overloading wiring is dangerous and leads to fires.
Question #3 – Do your lights dim or flicker?
Flickering or dimming lights could mean that you have a loose connection somewhere in your wiring. It could also mean overloaded circuits, improper wiring, and arcing and sparking inside your walls.
Question #4 – Are your outlets or plugs hot to the touch?
If you can’t hold your hand on one of your electrical outlets or plugs for at least five seconds, you may have overload. Too much heat from an outlet is a sure sign. When you use more electricity than the wiring can handle the wires heat up causing the insulation on them to bake. Eventually, the damaged wires cause shocks or fires.
Question #5 – Is your house 20 to 50 years old?
Home electrical wiring and the demand put upon it changed over the last century. Over one third of American homes 50 years and older, and even the homes built 20 years ago, can’t handle the amount of electricity that the average American home needs.
If your home is 20 to 50 years old, you need to have a wiring inspection and upgrade. Not doing so puts your home and your family at risk.
Answering yes to any of these five questions puts you at risk for a home fire. Find a reputable inspector and get your electrical wiring upgraded for the safety of your family.